Friday, December 10, 2004

Mike Cope's Blog and recent comments on divorce in the Church has inspired me to make a few comments of my own. I have lifted my own comment on his blog and pasted it here. To the extent that context may be missing to understand where I am coming from, I apologize.

It is hard to share the "scars" of divorce without running the risk of opening up old wounds. It is hard to focus on the faithfulness of God through the divorce without being tempted to also "confess" the faults of others or having to turn again and wallow in your own mistake.

As one of the many children of divorce out there, I know how my parents suffered on both sides of the equation. But God was there, even when the church struggled with how to deal with their decision.

My parents were not perfect in their dealings with each other; I was not the perfect child in my dealings with them or their decision; and the Church, who is also made up of imperfect people, did not always make the perfect choice in dealing with my parents.

And, my parents did not hold the church to a higher standard than they were capable of living themselves, because they knew that they, too, were part of that "imperfect" church. But they did want people who were involved in decisions concerning them to "hear" them.

It is hard for us to deal with divorce in our midst, because it reminds us of the truth that, "but for the grace of God......."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home