Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Beware Nanna-Red!

Across the street from my office lies the elementary school. It has 500 students and takes up 2 city blocks. Occasionally, my services are required when the elementary counselor is out.

The 3 main campuses that compose our school district share a police officer. His name is Bobby Dean. The kids call him "bah-bay-deeeeeen" And it is all one word. He is the right and the left arm of the law, making certain that kids are in school, drug-free, weapon-free, etc, etc. His size and build are intimidating.

Most kids seem to accept the fact that the school campuses are his "beat" and don't see him as a major threat. Others shudder when they see him coming.

Now Bobby has 19 grandchildren, many of whom are making their way through elementary and jr high. One of the ones in first grade is called "the screamer". He hates coming to school and when he gets there, he screams and screams and won't let up. The teacher called the mom. Nothing changed. She called the dad. Still no change. Bobby heard that the little feller was having a really hard time, so he stuck his head in the door......And the screamer stopped screaming.It was like magic!

I asked Bobby what was his secret? "Is he afraid of you?"Bobby shook his head no.

"Then, what is it?"

"It's Nanna Red", he confided. "He is afraid of Nanna Red. All I had to do is poke my head in the door brush my hand over my cell phone, and the screaming stopped. He was afraid I would call Nanna Red."

By now you have probably guessed that Nanna Red is his wife. She is about 5'2, 100 lbs and wirery as all get out. She also has this obvious shock of red hair. I would never want to get in a scrap with her, but neither have I found her particularly intimidating. But, I will take one former screamer's word on it: "Never mess with Nanna Red!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home