Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Counselors are wounded healers. Over and over, during my graduate program, I heard these words. And they seem to be true.

Many of us who come to the profession sought out the profession because we were trying to heal. And when you receive healing, it is easy to want healing for everyone.

But not everyone wants to be healed, and even if they want healing, few people really want you to take away their pain. Sometimes, they just need someone to be there with them as they go through it. They often release the pain when it no longer serves a purpose.

I have a situation in my life that is causing me a lot of pain right now. I would like the pain to go away, but I do not want the people who are contributing to the pain to go away. I happen to love them. But I would like for all of us to learn how to live with each other in such a way that joy is the natural result when we are together.

In some cases, I am not certain the family member wants joy or peace. In those cases, I guess I will just have to find peace and personal healing in the absense of relational healing.

In the meantime, everyone is seeing less of me. I am down 10.6 lbs. And, I plan to spend the next few days with the part of my family that gives me endless joy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mae said...

Woo ~ hoo for less of you! Good job, Serena!

The thing I keep hearing is to take care of yourself so that you can take care of others. Keep on truckin' and I'm praying for healing relationships and hearts. :)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Mae,

Thanks! Yes, you are right. We must take care of ourselves.

I appreciate the prayers. I will take every single one I can get right now.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Congrats on the 10.6 pounds down! What a great feeling!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home