Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Stress has become such a way of life; I am no longer stressed about being stressed! I either heard this in passing or said this in passing. : ) I know that I have been anesthetizing my stress through food for several years. Now that I am losing weight, I am more conscious of the pain I was relieving -- but not releasing -- through food. It was simply a form of suppression or a way of pushing the pain away by hiding it inside.

And, when I don't allow my favorite tranquilizer (food) to be an option, I find myself more volatile and temperamental, which makes me feel out of control. And then, I risk passing on that pain to others or becoming aggressive, which is another way of pushing the pain away, but this time toward someone else.

When we choose between suppression and aggression, we attempt to diffuse our pain by not dealing with it, but it never really goes away. It only recycles.


I did hear something in Bible class this week that gives me strength in this area: "Whatever you can feel, God can heal."

Somewhere between suppression and aggression is the middle ground where we connect with the pain so God can set it free. It may involve expression or confession, but ultimately, it provides the only protection for our spirit.

As a counselor, I know that release is a better option than relief. In order to release pain, you must face it. But it takes courage to travel that road, even when you know what is at the end. It is not the destination we fear, but the journey.

But God is faithful.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a doctor's appointment today and was told that I have an infection brought on by stress. I agreed that I do have stress in my life and that we probably all do. After announcing that I was now looking for a job as a taster at Krispy Kreme, the doctor said that wouldn't work with my Weight Watchers. I think I feel some more stress!!!!!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Ah, Terri!

Actually, Krispy Kreme could be compatible with Weight Watchers IF you live at least 5 miles from the store and you walk to and from work each day. And then like the poster boy for Subway, you could advertise how you lost weight on Krispy Kreme doughnuts. : )

7:38 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I think that is why I can now not go more than one week without cheating, I am just trying to not take out my aggression, but not losing weight causes me more stress thus more aggression, oh the viscious cycle....

3:13 PM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Donna,

I can certainly relate to that. Hang in there!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home