Monday, August 08, 2005

Kauai --Mission, day 4 (July 18, 2005)

I don't have many anytime minutes left, so I have been getting up at 5 am, PST, which is 10 am TDT (Texas Daylight Time) to make calls to friends and family. It is always a guess as to where I will be able to pick up a signal. I usually have to find a place outside, which is still dark this early in the morning. As I was wandering around, I nearly stepped on a brood of chickens. More accurately, it was a hen who had gathered her chicks underneath her wings. Well ... there were chicks under her wings, next to her wings and hanging from her wings. I didn't grow up on a farm. I had NEVER seen this before! But it brought to life the passage in Luke 13:34 where Jesus laments, "How often would I have gathered your children under my wings as a hen gathers her chicks......."

When I got back to the room, I told Tepi what I had just seen. She immediately shot back, "Did you take a picture?"

"No, at 5 am, I didn't think I would need my camera." I said, matter-of-factly.

"Serena, how many times do I have to tell you: NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR CAMERA!!!"

Ahhhhhhh! That parental tone! She has it down pat. But that is okay. She has heard quite a bit of that on this trip. Her mom and dad have called nearly everyday to make sure she is okay. They did caution her not to go near the ocean. Tepi, did you tell them you went snorkeling? (Tepi is an adult, has graduated from college and is close to the same age of my own kids.)

It reminded me of a time when I was 15 and about to go on a mission trip to a neighboring state and my dad gave me his list of instructions. You know the ones: Always have a buddy when you go anywhere, don't go into any yards with dogs and last but not least, DON"T TALK TO STRANGERS! Well, it was a mission trip and we were going to go door knocking to invite people to attend services, so I looked at him weird and he said, "Well, you know what I mean". Yes, I did. It meant that he loved me.

Tepi spoke tonight at the ladies seminar on "Seeing Yourself the Way God Sees You." She did a super job. It is easy to forget that Bible heroes like Abraham, Moses, Joshua and Gideon were frail human beings like we are -- that they had their fears and excuses, but God saw through all of that. An angel of the Lord once greeted Gideon by saying, "The Lord is with you, mighty warrior!" (Judges 6:12) Can't you just see Gideon looking around and asking, "W-who, me?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home