Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This week, Jill (my daughter-in-law), along with Mason (the 2 1/2 year old) and Jenna (the 2 1/2 month old) flew to Sacramento to make housing arrangements for their upcoming move. I wasn't really at ease with Jill making this journey, even by plane, with a 2 1/2 year old who in every way resembles Michael when he was 2 1/2. So well I remember how he could disappear from me in an instant.

Last month, when I went to South Carolina to see Jenna for the first time, I was reminded of those days. Mason and I had a marvelous time together. One day, we spent 3 hours at the park, while Jill and Jenna were at a baby shower. Another morning, we blew bubbles on the front porch. That was the day that I looked down just for a moment and he took off. Fortunately, his destination took him two doors down and not across the street.

When I tried to explain all of this to Jim, he just didn't get it. He never even remembered Michael being like that and couldn't relate to my concern over Mason. Of course, he never experienced that part of Michael's development in quite the same way I did. Even Jill just didn't seem to think it would be a problem at first, but I think she was beginning to see some of the things I was concerned about.

I didn't want Jill to make that trip alone with my two grandbabies. I couldn't fly with her on June the 6th, since I had an engagement in Houston, but maybe Jim could. And it worked out for him to meet her during her layover in Dallas and fly the rest of the way to Sacramento.

I was in Houston about to board the plane at the same time that Jim was in Dallas with Jill about to board the plane. I called Jim's cell. When he picked up, I heard him say this: "Mason......Mason......MASON, come HERE! Mason!!!! Serena, this is not a good time, not a good...... Mason, Mas...... (click)

I just had to laugh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home