Thursday, August 04, 2005

Kauai -- mission, day 3 (July 17, 2005)

Today we celebrate the Lord's day with our Kauai brothers and sisters. Scott and Calvin taught and preached. The emphasis was on communion with Christ and with our brothers and sisters. It was a precious time. There are two Mikes at church. They call them Mike 1 and Mike 2. Mike 2 led singing.

We had a potluck after church. There was a type of raw fish dish that was not sushi, but was surround by rice and wrapped a seaweed rice paper. I think it is called Poke. There were dishes made with glass noodles and something called lomi, lomi salad (I think), which has shredded raw veggies and some kind of fish, and haupia, which tastes like sweetened coconut milk squares set w/geletin. In fact, there were lots of desserts. We have only been here 3 days and my pants are feeling a bit snug!

At Sunday evening service, Mike 1 preached. I would say that Danny, the regular pulpit minister, who also works for EMS, is training these guys really well.

After church, we went to KFC. One of our rental vans had died, so Kathy Smith, one of the church members, helped shuttle us to eat and then to our motel in her van.

It is now after 11 pm, but in Texas, it is 4 in the morning. I think I have been running on autopilot since 5 pm PST.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I haven't commented this week, but I've been reading your posts about your trip and all you were doing and it sounds just great. I'd been wondering where you were and what all was going on.

I just missed you in Abilene. I got there just as you were leaving! Maybe next time. I try to go out every six months or so.

Anyway, glad you're back and having (I presume) a good summer!

2:48 PM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

You did meet Kathy Smith!!
What a sweetie she is!
JB

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home