Wednesday, January 26, 2005

It had been a long week and a half. My heart goes out to the Bourland family in the lost of their son as the result of the Highland youth group accident on the way back from Winterfest. As I write this, I am grateful that all the kids who were hospitalized are now at home and recovering. My prayers are with the one adult who is still in the hospital.

My prayers are also with the family of another 6th grader from Slaton who died suddenly the day before school resumed after the holidays. I was part of that counseling team who went to work with the students on three different campuses.

It all takes me back to other similar events -- the Greenlawn bus accident in May of 1999 where 6 girls were killed while on the way back from a church retreat in New Mexico. Both our kids and their spouses, as well as the our daughter's inlaws all attended church there at the time. Our tie to that body of people is still quite strong.

And then, there are the deaths we have experienced here in Post with our students. One year, we lost 2 seniors, a freshman and a college student -- one from a heart condition, one from an asthma attack, and 2 from self-inflicted wounds.

But out of the ashes of these tragedies, God has used his people to bless and to heal. And often, the people who have been the greatest "blessers" are those who were most affected by the loss. I hope to write more on this later, but for now, I bid you God's speed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith Brenton said...

It's a blessing to read your blog, Serena. Your counselees at school, your friends, your family - at home and at church - are surely blessed by your prayers.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home