Monday, July 05, 2004

Again in response to comments made in Mike's blog -- this time concerning a gentleman who disrupted our communion service (which was done differently from the way we traditionally have done it):


One never knows how we will respond to culture shock or what was even going on with him. But could we give him the benefit of the doubt?

It reminded me of an incident that occurred with my grandfather that people at that congregation still laugh about. They were having services and suddenly were under tornado/severe thunderstorm warning. The whole congregation retreated to the basement.

Some of the guys saw this as a chance to start some 42 tables and a few even braved the storm to fetch their dominoes. (I guess true Texans always keep a set in the pickup.)

Now, my grandfather loved 42, but he could not fathom the church building as being the place to enjoy this type of activity. He was also not very outspoken, nor was he generally given to expressing his opinion. But in that moment his religious ferver conquered his fears and he climbed up on one of the tables and began to shout: "In the church building? IN THE CHURCH BUILDING!!!!!"

I don't mind people laughing about him doing that if it is from a point of acceptance and love, but I can guarantee you that it was not funny to him and he felt something sacred had been violated.

So it occurs to me that my granddad could have been capable of doing just what that man did and if that had happened, I would have been grateful that Mike handled him with the restraint that he did. And I hope that in the jesting we do about these types of incidences, we never lose sight that these are people who matter, too. It could be someone's grandparent, mom, brother, sister, dad, or even child-- but always a child of God.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Owens said...

Great thoughts Serena. I think WE (all of us)can be hypocritical at times. We expect that all Christians display grace and acceptance. As soon as someone doesn't show that toward us, then we have negative responses from jokes, criticism, even questioning their hearts. And that to me, is the evidence that we have not arrived either. Boy, I'm so glad Jesus has it right, because none of us do.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Jon, you are correct.

And, even after writing my post, I went out and made a critical remark about someone who had hurt me and then felt really, really foolish. I did apologize, but isn't it amazing how those things can really catch us off-guard!

We all stand in need of grace. : )

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home