Saturday, July 03, 2004

Mike Cope brought up the Women's Role issue today in his blog. Here was my response:

I believe that those of us women who can adapt to whatever environment we find ourselves in -- traditional or otherwise--are the ones who are truly free. I have never felt disenfrachised because of the customs of our more conservative brethren. What I have found is that, regardless of the rules, I could generally find a way through them or around them to be God's light and and further his kingdom. And I have never thought for a moment that I was second-best because there was a rule that kept me from preaching to a mixed audience, even though I inherited my dad's plexiglass podium when he died and can picture myself behind it.

While I am interested to see where this emphasis of women's role will lead us, I am saddened by those who have left Highland, those who will leave Highland and those of us who have family members from out of town who will no longer worship with us at Highland when they come to visit because of matters of conscience. I am also concerned with a lopsided emphasis that says that those who stand up front and direct our services are more important than those who do not.

Simply telling people that they can go down the street if they want a more conservative c of C may silence our exposure to elements of the oposition within our midst, but there are places where there are not churches of any kind on every street corner. In the mission field, where I spent much of my life, we did not have the luxury of division or simply going down the street. Instead, we found ways to bring Christ to our location with as few "issues" as possible. And it is really interesting to me how the field produces strong men and women who learn to work within social custom and who enjoy active ministries.

A few random thoughts:

I find it interesting that it was the Church in its infancy that took the gospel to the entire world. That was the church to which Paul gave the rules we are now arguing. If this is truly where the Spirit is leading us, then what will our harvest look like?

I am concerned about the spirit of division that seems to be cropping up with women over this issue. When I have asked what I felt like were legitimate questions, I have been shot down by some rather hostile female voices. When that happens, I begin to wonder: Is this really about serving God and giving everyone an equal voice or are people simply finding ways to enforce their power over others?

Even when woman participate fully in every aspect of worship, there will still be some women who will be considered more equal than others, just as there are men who fit into that category now.

One thing I do believe is that our elders do care that every member be equipped and supported in his or her God- given ministry. I felt that long before the women's role was ever studied. I also know that my husband has found a group of men who have supported him in his spiritual growth. So I know that the community of believers who meet at Highland are about more than an issue, and I pray that it will continue to be this way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Serena. I know there must be other issues out there. I wonder what it might have been like if we had sought to lead men to be more sensitive and serving like women in hand-to-hand ministry instead of emphasizing corporate worship. Oh well. That's not very exciting.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

And thank you for responding. Have great day!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

Serena, Could you please send me your e-mail address? I have some questions concerning a counseling class and I thought that you may be able to offer some insight. My e-mail is maeusa11@hotmail.com. Thank you! :)

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home